Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Unemployed

I am working so hard to get a job and I don't have one. It's so interesting and humbling being on this side of things. I used to mock the unemployed thinking if they really wanted a job they would get off their butts and go get it. And here I am, hundreds of sent resumes later, unemployed. I'm working towards my Texas teacher certification. I have a lot to do preparing for this certification . . . but at this point it's costing money. But all the while, the savings are being burned through like gasoline. It's hard not to feel sorry for myself. And it's so embarrassing when someone comes and asks what my job is. The shame is often the hardest part.

I'm ready to work hard but I just need a chance. I want to teach. It's what I'm trained and experienced in and what I love to do. I can go another month like this and then I'll need to find a job no matter the pay or the role. God please give me strength and wisdom.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Brother, I feel your pain. Every word you said on the blog hit me like a ton of bricks as I read it because I've been through the same emotional turmoil in my experience of job-hunting.

I didn't graduate college until the end of 2008. I pounded the pavement for the next eight or nine months, before being hired with ISQ. I went through the same thing as you: resume's, emails, trips to schools, and phone calls.

It was a lot of effort, and I felt like I had nothing to show for it. I felt like less of a man, didn't want to talk to anyone about it, felt embarrassed about the whole thing, and argued with my wife. We were living with my in-laws and they didn't seem to believe I was working hard enough to find a job; that part hurt the most!

During that whole time, my pride was broken down and I focused on deepening my relationship with God. Finally, God worked it out and sent my wife and I to China, to work at ISQ.

This whole turmoil resurfaced again, a year and a half later, as I began pounding out the emails and resumes to schools, in anticipation of our return to Georgia. From January to early June (2011), I was in touch with principal after principal, several of which expressed desire to hire me, but couldn't offer anything due to budget cuts.

In the more than 30 private schools I contacted, only one offered to interview me upon my arrival in GA. I had that interview within a few days of arrival, in June, and then I had a job lined up.

Ultimately, unemployment will suck until you land a job. If it is any comfort, just know that it is not your fault job-hunting is this tough. Our country is still in a horrible economy.

There are things working against you that are beyond your control, but there are jobs out there. It just takes a lot of persistence, tenacity, and patience, to land one. These are all qualities I know you have. However, this is one of the perfect circumstances to help us become aware of how much we rely on God and how He only lights one step at a time. I'll be praying for you, Bro. You'll get there.

Jason A.

Living the Journey said...

Jason,

Thanks for your words. I appreciate it. I feel very encouraged and ready for round 2.